[spf-discuss] from the trenches: sender authentication relevance fading, DNSBLs and SpamAssassin rule

2007-06-17 14:40:37
Hello All,

A little update from the trenches.  I last was seen here in
mid-2004 (search the archive for "lawless").  At the time, like
everyone else, I was drowning in spam and desperate for a
solution.  I was able to establish a private 'sendmail' MTA
running a customized version of the 'perl' SPF milter.  The
customizations had mainly to do with increasing the
aggressiveness of the milter's rejection policies.

Since then the customized SPF-derived blocker has stopped tens
of thousands of UCE messages from entering my in-box.  Hurray!

Around December of 2004 I also started adding DNSBLs to the
'sendmail' configuration.  The DNSBLs were and are good at
blocking spam from senders with  relatively stationary IP
addresses--precisely the sort of spammers that might pass even
an aggressivized SPF check.  SPF continued to block garbage
emanating from zombie PCs since the operators of botnets rarely
bother to arrange SPF compliance.

In general the SORBS lists have not been useful as they
frequently block legitimate mail relays.  However the SORBS DHUL
list has been most helpful.  It lists dynamic IP DOCSIS and DSL
address as well as dial-up IPs and blocks much spam originating
from zombie PCs.  So 'dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net' has been an important
block list.

Earlier this year Spamhaus added a similar list.  The quality of
Spamhaus lists has always been excellent, and the new "Policy
Block List" is no exception.  It's more comprehensive than the
SORBS DUHL list by far.

So the combined Spamnhaus lists (zen.spamhaus.org), the SORBS
DUHL and the SpamCop blocklist form the first line of my spam
defense.  SPF is the second barricade against the unwashed hords
after the DNSBLs.  Finally SpamAssassin managed by a third-party
forms the rearguard.

What's interesting is that since the Spamhaus PBL went into
place and especially over the last two months or so, the amount
of spam escaping the DNSBL layer has dropped to almost
zero--with Spamhaus stopping the vast majority.  SpamAssassin
picks off what's left and SPF nets zilch.  A couple of weeks
back I switched the SPF component to tag failed messages rather
than bounce them as most of the SPF hits were false positives.

I'm not quite ready to declare sender authentication dead;
who knows what the next year will bring?  However it's looking
bleak.  Sender authentication requires substantial effort.
I don't see people (myself included) putting in that effort if
a handful of easily configured high-quality DNSBLs block 99.9%
of the spam.

Critical mass has gone to SPAMHAUS.  Now so may MTAs use this
list that anyone on it in error *has* to go to whatever effort
it takes to be delisted.  With SPF so few MTAs make use of it
that mis-configured SPF records abound.  I had accidently missed
adding a new relay to my domain's SPF record for months before
catching it.  No e-mail bounces arrived to clue me in, though
perhaps some messages were grey-listed.  Without crisp feedback
about errors, incorrect SPF records are likely to continue to
accumulate further weakening the benefits of SPF in a viscous
rather than virtuous cycle.

Regards,

David