Re: [spf-discuss] SPF question

2007-11-26 09:31:36
Looking at your SPF record, it would appear that it's mostly functional, although your mx mechanism is specified wrong as there are no mx records for mail.salleboise.com. Instead, it probably should read:

        v=spf1 mx:salleboise.com ip4:71.36.27.213 -all

Now, since currently the only MX record for salleboise.com is the same as that IP address, it would be slightly preferable to swap them to avoid a DNS lookup that's otherwise unnecessary, leaving the mx mechanism as a backup:

        v=spf1 ip4:71.36.27.213 mx:salleboise.com -all

Given that, if I were to receive mail from user(_at_)salleboise(_dot_)com coming from IP address 71.36.27.213, my MTA would return "Pass" for it.

It's possible that you sent your failing message to a mailing list that then forwarded your message from the original address, but now on a different server, thus the IP address wouldn't match your SPF record.

--Marc