Re: [spf-discuss] SPF adoption - HELO vs FROM

2008-01-05 15:30:32
On Jan 5, 2008 2:50 PM, Mark <<mailto:admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net>admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> wrote:

 That scrutiny is forcing server operators to provide RFC-compliant
 HELO data that can in turn be checked with SPF.

The 'problem' with RFC-compliant HELO data is, of course, that,
officially, there's no other requirement than that HELO be a FQDN or an
address literal.

Which is a good thing, because it gives senders a lot of flexibility to put whatever they want in that space. Senders who care will make an effort to use a name which is easily authenticated. Senders who continue to say "HELO this is Jupiter", we can ignore.

In my case - "ignore" == "blacklist".  For instance, I have a filter on
my mailserver that checks HELO and blacklists any server that provides HELO
of the form -?[0-9]*. (regex - matches "-678243786234" and "12345".)

Very effective.  Blocks a lot of spam from bots.  I have yet to see a
false positive.

-dgl-