[spf-discuss] Re: Errata confirmation question

2008-02-25 18:06:37
Scott Kitterman wrote:

What's the tricky issue?

The discrepancy reported by Julian some weeks (or now already
months) ago.  I'm not sure that I recall it correctly, that's
why I consider it as "tricky"... ;-)

It was arguably related to the last pending erratum:
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#permerror-invalid-domains

Possibly I confuse it - Julian, please corect me - if not it's
this statement in the "PermError" (2.5.7) section...

| Be aware that if the domain owner uses macros (Section 8),
| it is possible that this result is due to the checked
| identities having an unexpected format.

...in combination with the following statement in section 4.4
(record lookup):

| If all DNS lookups that are made return a server failure
| (RCODE 2), or other error (RCODE other than 0 or 3), or time
| out, then check_host() exits immediately with the result
| "TempError".

We do not want "TempError" for HELO do..ts.example or similar
crap in a <target-name> after macro expansion.  Odd, looking
at it again it appears to be simple, section 2.5.7 trumps 4.4,
end of story.

I'm too lazy to dig in the list archive today.  Is that all a
hallucination on my side, RFC 4408 always wanted PermError for
adjacent dots ?  In that case I could mark the wannabe-erratum
as bogey stating that 4.4 is limited to the cases not already
covered by 2.5.7.

 Frank