Re: [spf-discuss] External mail servers

2009-06-30 11:14:13
Thanks Alexandro,

(I've removed the MDN request from this message!)

In message <4A48E8CC(_dot_)60700(_at_)tana(_dot_)it>, Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> writes
[]

Yes, in part. They should also state that no bounces (or any message without a MAILFROM) are ever sent from that host. I think they have turned out backscatter for any message that will result to be undeliverable after having been accepted by mail4.ukisp.com from external sources, but it may be a good idea to ask for more details.

I have informed them of your comments.

As an aside, even if they didn't "need" an SPF record, would there be any resource or other implications for them if they had an unnecessary SPF record?

As a marginal case, a check could be missed from internal sources. What happens to undeliverable messages that you send? If you write to unexisting-user(_at_)existing-domain, your message may make its way to mail4 and only there be found to be undeliverable. In that case, a bounce would be generated with a helo name that misses an SPF record, thereby producing an output of "none" if the internal receiver runs SPF checking against its MX, or your client might discard it on a similar basis.

A "none" output is pretty benign isn't it?

I tried sending a message to kjahwbbceffhjvcbihevh(_at_)googlemail(_dot_)com (I chanced that there is no such address) and got the bouncer back.

--
Best regards
Harvey Coward

Slough Mortgage Centre - In your best interest. ®

Mortgages & Loans. Conveyancing. Debt Management.
Life, Critical Illness, Income Protection, Buildings & Contents Insurance.

Abbey House, 18-24 Stoke Road, Slough SL2 5AG
Tel: 01753 516567

E-mail communications are not secure, for this reason Slough Mortgage Centre
Ltd cannot guarantee the security of the e-mail or its contents or that is
remains virus free once sent.

This e-mail message is strictly confidential and intended solely for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged and
confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient, you must
not copy, distribute or take any action in reference to it.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete
the message from your system.

Slough Mortgage Centre Limited. Registered Office "Willsgrove", 10 The Chimes,
Dean Close, High Wycombe, HP12 3HR. Registered in England, number 04460564.
Consumer Credit Licence 570377. Slough Mortgage Centre Limited is an appointed
representative of Modus Mortgage Network which is authorised and regulated by
the Financial Services Authority.