[spf-discuss] Resolving MFROM/HELO conflicts

2010-01-13 12:02:32
Here is a little nit that wasn't addressed in RFC4408.  If HELO SPF says
to reject, but SPF for MAIL FROM says Pass, which takes precedence?  For
spfv1, I think we are stuck with "receiver policy" (especially since
checking HELO is optional).  Should we specify a precedence for spfv3?
Make HELO check a MUST?  Or keep HELO optional, but give precedence to
MFROM?

Here is an example for the latter.  Set SPF for HELO to "v=spfv3sdg -all".
This has the effect of saying "this server only legitimately sends
MFROM with SPF" (with MFROM taking precedence).

We would probably need to specify the whole matrix of MFROM vs HELO
SPF results.