Re: [spf-discuss] Yahoo mail and Gmail policy explanation?

2011-02-10 13:27:22
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Martin Jericho wrote:

If Google and Yahoo just allow email from invalid domains because there are too many incorrectly configured sender mail servers, wouldn't the same argument mean they also just ignore SPF because there are so many incorrectly configured SPF records? From the evidence I've seen they do check SPF records for real domains but just let fake domains through without even marking them as spam.

I agree with you - they really should at least require an A record.  I
was just trying to explain their motivation - which is to avoid tech
support at all costs.

The fundamental question I'm trying to get at is:
Should I bother setting up and maintaining SPF records if my domains are not currently suffering from any forged identity problems? I would do it happily if it contributed to the internet community's fight against spam, but unless major email service providers close the fake domain loophole, there doesn't seem to be any point.

*I* certain appreciate having valid SPF records, and it is an integral
part of blocking email forgery (which is a different issue than "spam"
as you seem to realize) for our customer. Even SPF from spammers allows me to ban the domain with confidence:-) We are not as big as gmail,
but we reject about 200000 forged emails every day.  (With one
occasionally being a clueless sender such as I described yesterday.)

On the positive side, your recipients can be more confident that emails
are truly from your domain when their email system gets an SPF pass.  US
Banks find this valuable enough to make it recommended industry
practice.

SMTP TLS has been available in robust form for 15 years - but very few
people use it.  Does that mean you shouldn't use it?

SPF and other authentication protocols (like DKIM and S/MIME)
distinguish responsible email admist a sea of twitter twaddle.

Unsubscribe Now: