xsl-list

RE: 8bit ascii encoding

2002-08-27 02:43:43

Thanks for all the responses, I still haven't been able to resolve the
problem but at least Ive learnt a *lot* about encoding.

One theoretical question that would help:  If I choose utf-8 as my
output encoding, there will be no BOM and characters in the original
ascii range will be output exactly as if I had chosen ascii...? (0-127)

So in theory, any program that takes the output, copies it byte-for-byte
and adds some its own bytes in ascii, would maintain the original utf-8
encoding (therefore any program told to read it in utf-8 would be
successful).  Is this sound?

cheers
andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leditschke [mailto:mike(_at_)ammd(_dot_)com(_dot_)au]
Sent: 24 August 2002 07:03
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] 8bit ascii encoding

If my chars are two bytes each then Im using utf-16, but utf-8 can
consist of 1-5bytes per char... I think I need to read some more.

Hi Andrew.
May I suggest a very useful tutorial (thanks Mike!) at

http://skew.org/xml/tutorial/

which explains XML starting with a lot of information
about Unicode, encodings etc.

I found it very helpful when grappling with
encodings etc.

Regards
Michael

---