xsl-list

Re: 8bit ascii encoding

2002-08-28 12:50:37
Andrew Welch wrote:
One theoretical question that would help:  If I choose utf-8 as my
output encoding, there will be no BOM and characters in the original
ascii range will be output exactly as if I had chosen ascii...? (0-127)

Yes.

So in theory, any program that takes the output, copies it byte-for-byte
and adds some its own bytes in ascii, would maintain the original utf-8
encoding (therefore any program told to read it in utf-8 would be
successful).  Is this sound?

It would work, yes, as long as you can be certain that it's always
done exactly as you say.

Is it wise? I'd be imagining the day a year from now when someone else
is having to wrench something into your application, and they'll not have
done their homework and will just think a character is a character, "let's
throw some random strings in there and hey why is my XML broken!?! XML is
dumb!"

   - Mike