xsl-list

Re: Re: Selecting a random node from source-tree

2002-09-26 09:12:07
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" dnovatchev at yahoo dot com
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 5:11 PM
Subject: [xsl] Re: Selecting a random node from source-tree

I was thinking of an XPath expression like this:

document('funnies.xml')/funnies/quote[random()]

Can I avoid using extension elements?

Yes, use the "randNext" template from FXSL.

More information is contained in the article:

"Casting the Dice with FXSL: Random Number Generation Functions in
XSLT"

http://fxsl.sourceforge.net
/articles/Random/Casting%20the%20Dice%20with%20FXSL-htm.htm

Hope this helped.

Thanks, Dimitre. Awsome article!

Unfortunately I always get the same random number (which makes perfect
sense, since I can't dynamically generate a starting number :-( )

So I must add this as a condition to my original question: the stylesheet is
static. No way of changing that.

Thanks for your help.
Martin Lormes