xsl-list

RE: tag minimisation

2002-09-11 05:30:00

well the serialiser doesn't see any markup at all, but it
sees an empty
node that looks exactly the same as a node that had been placed in the
result tree by <div/>.

[snip]

what the serialiser sees is some data in the Xpath data model that it
has to write out using XML syntax. The only thing in the data model
that corresponds to  <div></div> is an empty div node and that could
just as easily have come from a literal "<div/>" in the stylesheet.

aaah, that explains it.  The serialiser has no concept of <a></a> or
<a/>, only that 'element <a> is empty'.

It then decides how to output that element to the result tree based on
the output method.

Now that I can see that clearly in my mind, I can understand what you
were getting at with the <br></br> issue, and why a 'minimisation
switch' isnt simply a case of saying 'dont minimise'... :)

cheers david, got there in the end.

andrew

---