xsl-list

RE: tag minimisation

2002-09-11 01:05:52

DC:
I fail to see why it is a problem at all,

I add custom elements to the output based on the transform that is being
performed at the time.  The app then post processes (sax parses) the
output to extract the info Ive added to populate some of the features of
the app.  As I need xml (xhtml) output, the html output will not do.

So far so good, and everything works fine.

The *only* problem comes from the browser (IE - no choice) failing to
recognise <xxx/>.  Any expressions performed on a minimised element will
crash IE, any styling given to a minimised element will be passed onto
all elements that follow it.

On large output files it can be a nightmare trying to locate which
element has been minimised, then tracing it to the template that
generated it and adding #160, purely to stop it getting minimised (which
just seems rediculous).

Its such a trivial, non essential thing that can cause so many problems,
I fail to see why it is a problem to keep elements as <xx> </xx>, at
least until browsers catch up.

MK:
If you want XHTML, several processors including saxon have an output
method for XHTML that won't do tag minimisation except for elements
whose content model is EMPTY.

That should hopefully do what I need.

cheers
andrew