xsl-list

Re: A few questions to the experts: functions, templates, loops

2002-09-06 03:57:26
Hi,

OK, I have not been very clear. It's actually very simple:

1.) I do not have access to any xslt-processor on a server. However, I have it on by own computer, so I can generate (which I do) a lot of xml-database-driven standalone (x)html pages. That is what I do for site development. Later I upload the (ordinary) (x)html-pages to a server and I don't have a need for a xslt-processor anymore. 2.) There are however some things - also for example some other projects - for which method 1 doesn't work (e.g. because of database size etc.). That is what I was referring to when I wrote about the need of parameterizing it via browser ;-)

I hope this clears it up a little bit :-).

Oh - and if you feel this is off-topic, just ignore it silently please:
<possibly-off-topic>
I also encountered another problem in the meantime: Is there any free (as in cheap) application available, preferrably platform independent, that creates images from the font? I have to deal with asian fonts, and few people (of the western world) have those installed, so I was thinking about an on-the-fly font->picture generation. Naturally, if there is no other choice, I will write one myself, but I am pretty sure that someone must have encountered this problem before :-) What would you feel be a good way to do it? I was considering using SVG, since this seems to be a neat new - and closer to xml/xsl - way to do it, but if I am not mistaken, svg support isn't implemented in major browsers yet and requires the download of e.g. the batik kit?
</possibly-off-topic>

Best regards,

Juggy

P.S.: Thanks again for all the help so far!

Michael Kay wrote:
3.) Is there a way to pass parameters when calling a xml-file? Like calling "http://...file.xml?param=1"; and the xslt-script

can evaluate
that parameter? I only found a way to do it via an

xslt-processor, and
since I can't use scripts/cgis/processors... on my server

it has to be
done via the xml/xslt purely.

Are you doing transformation on the client or on the

server? It sounds
from this description as if you are doing it on the client. In this case you can control the transformation, including passing

parameters
to it, from Javascript code on the HTML page.

I am doing the basic transformation on the server. However, since this is just a private project and I don't have access to a server which gives me access to a full-fledged xslt-processor, I have to consider using a client-side transformation model as well.

Sorry, I don't understand. If you are doing transformation on the
server, then there must be an XSLT processor on the server, and there
must be some application running on the server that is invoking it. You
seem to be saying that you aren't allowed to write applications that run
on the server to invoke the XSLT processor, you have to use the
application that someone else has provided. But you don't say what that
application is or what its capabilities are, so it's impossible for me
to tell you whether it supports passing of parameters to the XSLT
transformation.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com