xsl-list

Re: declarative language, need for loops etc.

2002-10-17 13:05:14
---- thomas wrote:

Hello
In my experience as an beginner in xslt I understand slowly whats
"behind" xslt as a declarative language. What I dont understand is,
that
there is still some "need" for iterative solutions wich is not part
in
the xslt.
And I have to do something like this:
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker/XSLT/loop-compiler/

Wich basic concepts is missing? What do I not understand?

This is not a flame...maybe I'm just to stupid...?

--

Thomas Lohbeck

Software is mindcontrol - Get some!

Hi Thomas,

While XSLT is considered to be a functional language by experts in this
field, it is definitely not a very nice representative of this class of
programming languages.

Therefore, I'd recommend a good introductory book in FP, e.g. Simon
Thompson's " Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming"

http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/people/staff/sjt/craft2e/

or Richard Bird's book "Introduction to Functional Programming using
Haskell"

http://www.prenhall.com/allbooks/ptr_0134843460.html

Due only to some historical reasons the majority of programmers today
have only imperative programming background and are not aware of the
principles and underlying ideas of the more precise, ellegant and
powerful school of functional programming.

I truly believe, that I am giving you the best possible answer to your
question.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.