xsl-list

RE: how to mix two trees

2002-10-07 06:56:25
Change your XML design, use <question-ref id="1">, not <question_1>.
It's very poor design to build meaning into the structure of your XML
element names, and it will certainly make your XSLT coding much harder.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Tiago Freire
Sent: 07 October 2002 13:11
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl]how to mix two trees

hello, I am having a headache on starting XSLT, and I have to do the
following:
given a tree like:
<result>
    <exercise>
        <row>
            <exercise_id>1</exercise_id>
            <exercise_title>XSLT Foo</exercise_title>
            <exercise_question>
            She sells sea sehells on the ____<question_1 />. <br />
            Fuzzy wuzzy was a _____<question_2 />
            </exercise_question>
        </row>
    </exercise>
    <questions>
        <row>
            <question_id>1</question_id>
            <question_order>1</question_order>
            <question_options>
                <item>Seashore</item>
                <item>Pier</item>
            </question_options>
        </row>
        <row>
            <question_id>1</question_id>
            <question_order>2</question_order>
            <question_options>
                <item>anemone</item>
                <item>bear</item>
                <item>butterfly</item>
            </question_options>
        </row>
    </questions>
</result>
I'd have to reconstruct the result in HTML, substituting the
<question_
/> tags in he exercise with the <row> contents belongingto  the
corresponding <question_order>.
Note: the XML design can be changed(any places on where to learn good
XML design?), but we will always have these result sets with one
exercise having one or more questions in it.

Thanks in advance,
Tiago Freire