xsl-list

Re: Working with Scientific Notation

2002-10-04 10:07:27
Hi Michael,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to convert very small
numbers represented in scientific notation to a standard decimal.

The situation is this: I converted a spreadsheet from MS Excel 2002
into an MS XML Spreadsheet (more on that later). I have an xsl file
that can convert the spreadsheet into a
more-attractive-than-the-MS-html-output html file. (And in total,
there are too many files to do things worksheets that need to be
converted to do this by hand). Many of the values that are formatted
as percents in excel show up in scientifc notation (eg
-9.1053999999999996E-2) in the xml output. When I try to format them
with format-number(), they show up as NaN. (This is the MSXML
DOMDocument 3.0, by the way). Now I think I've read that JDK 1.2
processors don't bite on this, but the MSXML does. This is a real
pain, because the decimals really need to be rounded by
format-number() for the output to look decent.

The pure-XSLT options you've been given would probably be best, but if
it be feasible for you to upgrade to MSXML4, you could use the
extension function:

  ms:number()

to convert the string into an XPath number.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison