xsl-list

Re: Working with Scientific Notation

2002-10-04 09:38:36
Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to convert very small numbers represented in scientific notation to a standard decimal.

The situation is this:
Many of the values that are formatted as percents in excel show up in scientifc notation (eg -9.1053999999999996E-2) in the xml output. When I try to format them with format-number(), they show up as NaN.

I assume from your comments that you have already discovered that XSLT 1.0 doesn't handle scientific notation (XSLT / XPath 2.0 will).

My recommendation is to do this as a string processing operation, with as little math as possible. Just count the digits on both sides of the decimal point, find the value of the exponent, and move the decimal point to the right place, inserting extra zeros as necessary. Use the programming language of your choice (not necessarily XSLT), depending on your intermediate file format.

Good luck.