xsl-list

Re: xalan encoding issues?

2002-10-04 04:55:51
Lainaus Laura Jenkins <xsl_list(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>:

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there are any specific rules about the character
encoding.
following are my questions.
1.Does Xalan allow all kinds of character encoding or just some specific
encodings ?
I think that there was two encodings: UTF-8 and UTF-16

2.If the encoding is not specified in the xml file, what does xalan
assume
as a default encoding?

Default is UTF-8

3.If i do not specify the encoding in my xml file, and if the xml has
for
example arabic or polish characters,would it still open in my IE?(what
would
IE assume the default Character coding )
4. If the XML file is has an encoding iso-8859-1 and if the xml is a
valid
xml, what is the effect of
  1. Having an xml declaration with encoding in the xsl??
  2. Having an xsl:output with encoding specified?

Thank you very much

Jarkko Moilanen          "Erehtyminen on inhimillista,
Researcher/ ITCM         mutta todella suuret mokat
jm60697(_at_)uta(_dot_)fi           vaativat tietokoneen käyttöä."
www.uta.fi/~jm60697
GSM: +358 50 3766 927