xsl-list

Re: Missing 'width' attribute, CALS limitation?

2002-11-12 14:10:42
At 13:00 2002-11-12 -0500, you wrote:

Thanks Ken and thanks Eliot,

I'll try to to explain myself better now. The function Ken mentioned is
useful, but it doesn't solve the problem. I still think my first assumption
is right.

You can mix absolute widths (i.e. column-width="5cm") with proportional
widths (i.e. column-width="proportional-column-width( number-of-units )")
and the formatter will prorate the remaining width of the table for
proportional specifications after removing any absolute values.

How do you know how wide one column is without a total number to divide and
subtract from? Adding absolute values is easy, but how do you know how much
is left for the proportional columns when you subtract the absolute widths
from the total?

Not all tables need the full width of fo:region-body, and some tables may
perhaps need more than the full width. There's no way to know the total
unless you specify it by hand. The value must be carried by the XML
document, then used by the stylesheet.

Here's my reading of proportional-column-width function (5.10.4):

"The proportional-column-width function returns N units of proportional
measure where N is the argument given to this function."

You specify 5 if you have proportional columns widths like 2*, 2* and 1*.
There may be absolute columns between, like in 2*, 2.54cm, 2*, 1in, 1*.

"The column widths are first determined ignoring the proportional measures."

I think they mean the proportional columns widths are not counted in the
first calculation, when you add absolute widths.

"The difference between the table-width and the sum of the column widths is
the available proportional width."

Where does the table-width come from?

"One unit of proportional measure is the available proportional width
divided by the sum of the proportional factors." [...]

If there (coincidentally) was 5 inches left, the above set of proportial
columns would be 2, 2 and 1 inch.

Here's my assumption again: "to calculate mixed column widths (proportional
and absolute), you need the total width of a table?" Am I wrong this time
too? :-)

So, from an XSL-FO point of view, I think pgwide="1" would have to
translate to span="all".

That makes sence.

Gustaf