xsl-list

document identity test stylesheet

2002-12-29 03:17:38
The Kimber/Holman/Carlisle/et.al. thread on document identity earlier this
month was well-timed: I happened to be upgrading 4Suite's URI processing
library for better conformance; and Ken's genid2.xsl stylesheet alerted me to
issues to be sure to clean up in generate-id(), document(), URI resolution,
and stylesheet caching.

At http://skew.org/xml/stylesheets/doc-id/ is a stylesheet I am using to test
conformance. To use it, you must pass 2 stylesheet parameters: src-uri and
sty-uri, which are the absolute URIs of the source doc and stylesheet doc that
you are using. These should be the same as the URIs you use when you invoke
the processor.

See the additional notes and sample command lines at the URL.

I'm interested in feedback regarding these tests. It's possible I overlooked
something. One thing to note is that I also test the largely theoretical case
of file:/// and file://localhost/ being treated as equivalent, regardless of
what localhost might otherwise mean, as mandated by RFC 1738. I fear the
fallout from mentioning this! It's a little-known bit of URI arcana, and it
only applies to the 'file' URL scheme.

I only tested command-line invocations with the non-4Suite processors. Results
were interesting. MSXML worked rather well when given absolute URIs on the
command line. Saxon and Xalan fared just as Ken Holman noted originally (i.e.
not so well). I'm pleased to say that 4XSLT in the next release of 4Suite (and
already in current CVS snapshots, for the brave) will pass every test I throw
at it.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/