xsl-list

Re: Announcement netiquette

2002-12-18 07:47:30
G. Ken Holman wrote:
There are enough other resources
where to find information about new XML products. What would happen if every
xml software vendor was announcing his software on this list

Although that particular announcement was a bit lengthy, I personally
appreciate new product announcements on this list so that I don't have to
go and hunt and peck trying to find out what is new.

I hope vendors will continue to post *short* announcements using a
hyperlink for more detail to help with the awareness.

I'm mostly in agreement, but I think that part of his point is that in this
case it was a general XML product, not specifically an XSL-FO or XSLT product.
While the vendor may claim "of course it's relevant; XSL is XML, isn't it? Who
on this list doesn't edit XML?", it's much the same logic as every spammer
uses when they hawk their wares far and wide.

Personally, I feel that the more focused the forum, the more the announcement
should be tailored for it. If it's a product that's 90% general XML and 10%
XSLT, it better be a pretty short post here on xsl-list, or it should go into
more detail than the general announcement would about the XSL-related
features, and not devote as much copy to the irrelevant aspects, even if
that's the bulk of the software.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/