xsl-list

Announcement netiquette (was RE: [ANN] <oXygen/> XML Editor 1.2.4)

2002-12-18 06:40:31
At 2002-12-18 09:50 +0100, Cams Ismael wrote:
I don't know how other people think about it on this list. But in my opinion
announcements of new products don't belong on this list.

I think they are appropriate, but then again I sell XSL training and post periodically about upcoming deliveries. I find it useful to read announcements and when I have an announcement myself I try to be considerate about the length and make it obvious on the subject line. Many of us are subscribed to a number of lists, so announcements often seem repetitive when many lists are hit at the same time, which reinforces the need for proper netiquette so readers can quickly dispose of messages they've already read.

People here are
looking for help regarding xslt (I think). There are enough other resources
where to find information about new XML products. What would happen if every
xml software vendor was announcing his software on this list

Although that particular announcement was a bit lengthy, I personally appreciate new product announcements on this list so that I don't have to go and hunt and peck trying to find out what is new.

I hope vendors will continue to post *short* announcements using a hyperlink for more detail to help with the awareness.

Note that most announcements have "ANN" (or some such) on the header line so you can just choose to trash the ones you see in the header ... no one is asking you to read announcements and I think it is good netiquette on behalf of the vendor to indicate announcements in this way for people like you who really do want to skip them.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others ... note on http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/index.html that anything related to XSL is fair game; there are no bans on announcements. Perhaps reinforcing the "Use Informative Subject Lines" section with the request for including "ANN" at the start of a message for announcements would be useful.

.................. Ken

p.s. happy holidays to everyone!

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                          2003-03-03,06