xsl-list

RE: processing xml question

2002-12-09 10:41:06
Sorry,
I tried not to forget any detail.  The content has the two dates pubdate and
expdate both in the format of YYYY-mm-dd hh:mm:ss example: 2002-12-25
01:23:45

I store a string that I get from the server with my java program which is in
the same format and it is nowString.  This so if the publish date is after
the nowString it isn't publishable yet, or the expiration date is before the
nowString then this survey is expired.

Falls, Travis D (CASD, IT) wrote:
I have an xml file that I read in.  It has several (potentially 365) item
nodes.  The Item node looks as follows:

<item>
      <id>1038918508813</id>
      <title></title>
      <surveycode>CSEE_iConnect_Channel_Survey_2002-12-03
      <pubdate>2002-12-11 00:00:00</pubdate>
      <expdate>2002-12-12 00:00:00</expdate>
      <archdate></archdate>
</item>

The programming task is to get the most recently published item that isn't
expired and the previous one this one if there is one.

How do you determine that it expired? Is it just when pubdate >= expdate? Or
is it when the trailing part of surveycode (2002-12-03) is >=
substring-before(expdate,' ')? Or do you have the current date somewhere
(like
in an externally-supplied parameter) that you compare to expdate?

I want to do this differently, by building a document fragment of items
and
putting them in order newest to oldest.  Then I can just render the first
item in the new document fragment that meets the pubdate and expdate
condition, and the one after that is the previous one.  I don't know how
take a document fragment and make it a document though, or if I have too.

You don't need to. A clever XPath expression and XSLT keys would identify
the
items you want from the set of all items that haven't expired. I'd offer
some
code but you haven't clarified what determines when something is expired.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/
  Denver, CO, USA |  http://skew.org/xml/

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
copies.