xsl-list

Re: Count with embedded child elements

2002-12-09 01:16:59

--- I wrote:

"Bruce Dailey" <bruce(_at_)bmdailey(_dot_)com> wrote in message
I have an XML file like this

<tu>
<tuv>
</tuv>
</tu>

<tu>
<tuv>
</tuv>
</tu>

I am trying to count the occurrence of a parameter I am passing in
"SearchText", e.g. "X" per TU. So for the above I want 1 returned,
but I
am getting 2 returned using the syntax below: (because 2 text nodes
in
the second <tu> have X in it, I think).

<xsl:value-of select="count(//tu/tuv/seg/text() [contains (.,
$SearchText)])"/>

So, in other words, I want to count the number of <tu>s that have
the
search term in the <seg> element but I want to ignore the text in
the
<ut> element.

Can someone help me out with the correct syntax.

I think my current syntax deals with ignoring the <ut> element but
doesn't deal with the multiple text nodes in the <seg> element.

Use:

count(//tu/tuv/seg[contains (text() , $SearchText)])

The above is incorrect, it will return 0 when evaluated against the
following xml document:

<t>
  <tu>
    <tuv>
      <seg>Y
        <ut>X</ut>Y
      </seg>
    </tuv>
  </tu>

  <tu>
    <tuv>
      <seg>Y
        <ut>X</ut>X
        <ut>X</ut>X
      </seg>
    </tuv>
  </tu>
</t>

when in fact the correct result is 1 (the second of the //seg elements
has two text node children containing 'X').

The right XPath expression is:

count(
//seg/text()
      [contains(., $SearchText)]
           [not(preceding-sibling::text()[contains(., $SearchText)])]
      )

As you can see, there is a combination of searching and grouping in
this XPath expression.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.