xsl-list

RE: nbsp (in parameter) question

2002-12-04 03:35:34
I am passing a parameter to a xsl stylesheet which outputs HTML. This
param is simply printed by the stylesheet.

The problem is that the data i am passing to this param is something
like this

UserName : XYZ nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; Company Name : ZZZ

That whole String is one parameter, and i want it to be
printed out like
this :

UserName : XYZ Company Name : ZZZ

Note, that it must be printed with spaces in between.

I know i can replace nbsp; with   while passing the
parameter data. But this is not working. The output i get in
that case is :

UserName : XYZ     Company Name : ZZZ

The conversion of   to a space is not happening.

The conversion of   to a non-breaking space is done by an XML
parser. When you pass a string as a parameter to the stylesheet, it is
never processed by an XML parser, so XML character references are not
substituted. You will have to work out how to generate a string
containing this character in your chosen programming language: if you
are using Java, you can write it as "\u00a0".

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com