xsl-list

Re: Doing HTTP/POST from XSLT is fun!

2002-12-03 06:43:38
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 07:19:56PM -0500, Gunther Schadow wrote:
Hi Daniel, I appreciate your Bahh :-) I am happily dropping my
special stuff in favor of a more standard and more widely
supported solution.

[..]

(a) exsl:document can both output a document to the specified
     url initially by means of POST?

  or PUT, I would say PUT is the HTTP method needed to publish
something, at least historically...

(b) and that one can set the HTTP/POST request parameters and
     attributes?

  no,

if not, is there a change that this might be added to this
exsl:document specification?

  Well maybe I didn't analyzed fully your initial proposal, but
what you're trying to send as a mix of headers and structured
data could as well be completely kept as structured data.
maybe exslt:document is limited in the sense that it can't provide
back a return value, but I would far prefer in term of API something
as simple as exslt:document and keep everything as markup rather
than a SOAP oriented API. That API get a tree as input, serialize it
POST it to the target href, and returns the resulting value (a tree
answer). That would be sufficient for XML-RPC driven XSLT interraction.
Simple framework, easy deployment, and everything is kept at the markup
and structure level.

Daniel

veillard(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/