xsl-list

RE: sax or dom in XSLT procesing ?

2003-01-29 02:05:10
    :> I have no document now, i have data calculated by my program, and I
    :> thinking in what format build input document for transformation,
    :> in examples i found only transform SAX or DOM building from FILE,
    :> and didnt understood whats input choise better.
    :> I want not to save data to disk, but calculate data, build SAX or DOM
    :> document from it, and invoke transformation.

    :Of course SAX, don't waste memory for superfluous temporary DOM.

I don't think it was a fair answer. Both tokenizing and tree processing have
their pros and cons. Advantages of SAX are:

  * Low memory (as mentioned), thus faster
  * Better keyword searches

Disadvantages of SAX are:

  * Easily forgets previous elements it worked on
  * Not easy to re-order elements
  * Cannot validate an XML document
  * Canot easily verify ID-REF links

First figure out what it is you're trying to achieve. Size of the documents
you're planning to work on is very important as well!

In fact, SAX-like processors are used to produce DOM-like processors.

Sherzod