xsl-list

Re: speed optimization

2003-01-26 12:58:58
On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 07:53:13PM +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
Hi

I'm looking for a free, simple, and easy, way to find bottlenecks.

  the problem is that those bottlenecks are likely to be implementation
dependant, so generic profiling is unlikely to give good results (well
unless getting a model of the processor and running some serious
computations).

I'd like to be told stuff like
   "Saxon spent 70% of his time in line 5 columns 7-20 of foo.xslt."

  xsltproc has a --profile [*] option where it dumps statistics about time
spent. The granularity is the template, not line blocks though. I'm
pretty sure Saxon also allow to gather profiling informations from a
run (I remember reading about it), but Michael Kay will certainly
provide the details too :-)

Daniel

[*] --norman is an alias for this option, guess why :-)

veillard(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/