xsl-list

RE: Yet another grouping question

2003-01-08 12:05:01
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 10:30 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Yet another grouping question

At 2003-01-08 10:09 -0700, Martinez, Brian wrote:
returning a node-set from the tables in all files instead of
iterating through each file seems to make more sense.
However, that does
present a secondary grouping problem--your stylesheet
outputs a separate
country node for each city.  I think combining your approach
with Niko's
suggestion of doing a second pass on the output (and using a
key) will do
the trick.

Not necessarily ... I think the modification below should
work.  You have
all the information at hand in the source node tree.  The
code below groups
by country name, and then within that subset groups by city name.

I hope this helps.

Awesome . . . that works perfectly, and is actually pretty fast (1:12 to
process 204 files, comprising over 2200 table rows, on Saxon/Win2K).  Thanks
again.  I'm not sure I understand yet how you use generate-id in this
approach, but I think I'll figure it out from looking through the FAQ again.

(Now I get to do this again for U.S. airports--their stylesheets are
formatted differently, and I have to generate a "state-province" node, plus
make a distinction between commercial/non-commercial airports, which will
introduce even more grouping issues--but I think I can take it from here.)

thanks,
b.

| brian martinez
brian(_dot_)martinez(_at_)trip(_dot_)com |
| senior gui programmer                                  303.708.7248 |
| trip network, inc.                                 fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| http://www.cheaptickets.com/                   http://www.trip.com/ |