xsl-list

Re: how to get an NCR in the output?

2003-01-04 18:39:50
Tobias Reif wrote:
Hi

In the DocBook input, I have ↑ (with spaces in case it doesn't go
through: & # 8593 ;). This should be an [arrow up].

I'm transforming the doc to XHTML. In the output, I get the upwards
arrow (as one char (â+'), not as NCR), which should be fine so far, but
the browsers (Mozilla etc) don't like it: They display garbled stuff
like â + '(spaces inserted).

Sounds like you got UTF-8 output but your browsers think it's iso-8859-1.

Either add
to the XHTML document, so the browser will interpret the bytes properly,
or change the encoding of the output:
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="us-ascii"/>
will force numeric character references for all the non-ASCII characters.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/
  Denver, CO, USA |  http://skew.org/xml/