xsl-list

RE: is this valid <xsl:template match="@id"> ?

2003-01-02 15:58:58
I guess that a way to look at is by analogy.

Both XSLT and DOM are tools to make XML documents.  Both a sowing machine
and a pair of knitting needles are ways to make clothing.  With DOM and
sowing machines you have access to any place in the article under
construction.  With knitting needles and XSLT the concept of "where am I and
what am I going here?" is much more important.  If you forget a buttonhole
with a sowing machine you can add the buttonhole after you put on the
button.  Not so with knitting needles.  The correct connections need to be
made for the buttonhole as you parse the yarn into a sweater.   Miss it and
the only solution is to unravel back to the point where the buttonhole needs
to be.

Being a craftsman with a sowing machine may not help you much when you first
take up knitting. Analogously DOM craftsmen need to learn some new things
when they start with XSLT.

Greg Alvord
Gallagher Financial Systems.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niko Matsakis [mailto:niko(_at_)datapower(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 4:31 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] is this valid <xsl:template match="@id"> ?

It is more than a matter of simplicity: it allows engines to stream
output.  If attributes could be added at any time, then it would be
impossible to output the result tree as it is generated because a new
attribute could be added to an ancestor element, requiring the processor
to change what it had already output

Niko Matsakis
DataPower technology

Joerg Heinicke wrote:

Have a look into the spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#creating-attributes. There you can find an
enumeration about the errors while creating attributes.

I think it's only a question of simplicity. But I did not work on the
spec, so somebody else can maybe tell you more about it.

Regards,

Joerg

SLakshman(_at_)eagle(_dot_)org wrote:

thanks Joerg. it worked...

Can you tell why is this restriction ?  When we create CHILD ELEMENT or
ATTRIBUTE using DOM, the order did not seem to matter...

regards

Saravanan L

Tuesday, December 31, 2002 6:07 AM