xsl-list

RE: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

2003-02-18 11:39:14
From: Gunther Schadow [mailto:gunther(_at_)aurora(_dot_)regenstrief(_dot_)org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:36 AM
Subject: [xsl] The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

Hi, I am upgrading my stuff to Saxon 7.4 and I am biting my behind
now that I even started this (one day before a demo!!!).

Apparently now everything wants to be type safe and type rules
are being enforced according to XPath 2.0.

I sympathize with your struggles (imagine migrating to a new version of
WebLogic literally *days* before a major production release--we did that
once, and once only), but Michael does make it pretty clear on Saxon's home
page that 7.4 is an *experimental* release, based on the very fluid and
non-final specifications of XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0.  Unless you have specific
needs for XSLT 2.0 features in your stylesheets, I'm not sure why you'd want
to migrate at such a critical point.

If you need only XSLT 1.0 conformance, you'd be better off using 6.5.2,
which is the recommended production release.  Or (as I see that Jeni just
mentioned) be sure your version in your stylesheets is set to 1.0, so that
Saxon won't use XPath 2.0 type-checking in its transformations.

good luck,
b.

| brian martinez
brian(_dot_)martinez(_at_)trip(_dot_)com |
| senior gui programmer                                  303.708.7248 |
| trip network, inc.                                 fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| http://www.cheaptickets.com/                   http://www.trip.com/ |