xsl-list

Re: Reference to variable cannot be resolved.

2003-02-14 10:43:48

I am sure that if you were designing your own language you'd never
allow such a practice.

I think actually it's more normal to allow this than not.
in lisp dialects it's not usually an error if a let binding shadows
a binding of the same name. in lambda calculus you allow
lambda x. ( x .... lambda x. (....x ) ... x)
with the usual understanding that the 1st and 3rd x are a different
variable (bound by the outer lambda) to the 2nd x which is bound by the
inner lamda.

XSLT 1 didn't allow redefinition in inner scope within a template
to avoid the user-error that users think that the second definition is
redefining the value of the original variable, but I don't think it's
necessarily bad to allow this (several of my early stylesheets broke
when this catch was added to XSLT1 draft:-)

David