xsl-list

RE: Thank you Daniel & Brian...

2003-03-31 07:15:40
From: Gan Uesli Starling [mailto:alias(_at_)starling(_dot_)us]
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Thank you Daniel & Brian...

Hooray, I got it. My XML/XSLT had worked fine
before according to MSIE 6 and Mozilla 1.2.1 but
the validator at W3C hated it. With your help
now it likes it.

Result is at:

http://starling.us/gus_netbsd

XSLT is at:

http://starling.ws/XML/howto.xsl

Things the validator found but were missed by
Xalan, MSIE and Mozilla were:

< snip examples >

I'm glad it worked for you finally, but you should keep in mind that an XSLT
processor doesn't validate your markup, so it's not going to catch things
like

<ol>
   <a id="x"></a>
   <li><h3>bar</h3></li>
</ol>

because that's well-formed XML as far as it's concerned.  Even when you
specify a namespace for your default elements (such as for XHTML), or
specify a DOCTYPE declaration in xsl:output, that doesn't cause the
processor to do any post-serialization checking of the output.  The
processor is concerned with two things: well-formed (and valid, if using a
DTD or schema) XML input, and a valid XSLT stylesheet.  The validity of the
output is entirely up to the programmer, and you were wise to validate yours
once you got the stylesheet working.

glad to be of help,
b.

| brian martinez
brian(_dot_)martinez(_at_)trip(_dot_)com |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.708.7248 |
| trip network, inc.                                 fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| http://www.cheaptickets.com/                   http://www.trip.com/ |