xsl-list

RE: Re: Re: dynamic XPath?

2003-03-12 15:12:37
[Dimitre Novatchev]>
I think I may have misunderstood here, and perhaps you
misunderstood me
as well...  I understood the original question to ask for matching a
__string__ containing a path expression, like "/a/b/c"
(that is the kind
of example O thought that Yue Ma showed).  For my own post,
I put the
path string into a variable, thinking that it would
probably eventually
be sent in via a parameter.

Re-reading your comment, I notice that you might have
thought that I
was selecting a node set into the variable, instead of a string, but
that is not the case.

No, I also understand that the variable contains a string.

The problem of the expression (1):

/a/b/c

being generated for the node uniquly matched by (2):

/a/b[2]/c[3]

is that the former matches more than one node.

You can produce a string like (2) with a modification to the expression
I gave.  But ...

Whoever wants to identify a single node will not use (1) ,
but an expression
equivalent to (2).

Maybe, maybe not  - perhaps the original poster will tell us what he
really wants to do...

Cheers,

Tom P