xsl-list

RE: Select entire XML doc

2003-03-04 10:24:01
From: Wendell Piez [mailto:wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 9:53 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Select entire XML doc

Brian,

At 07:03 PM 3/3/2003, you wrote:
Remember that the transformation works on a
parsed XML input tree--not the raw document.  So any child
of the root node
that isn't an element is removed, and if there is more than one child
element of the root node, the document is rejected by the
parser as being
malformed XML.

< snip >

Given the root node / as context, <xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
fails to copy
these nodes (comments and PIs) since it only selects elements
(of which,
you are correct, there will be exactly one). But
select="node()" picks up
these other nodes. <xsl:copy-of select="*"/> will of course
pick up PIs and
comments that are *inside* the document element (since it's a
deep copy),
which may be part of the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification on this.  Normally all I would want when doing
a copy are elements.  I didn't realize that you *can* copy all nodes in a
source document, probably because there's little point in doing so since you
would just create an exact copy of the source.  Perhaps if you were copying
multiple sources to the result tree and wanted everything, including the
<?xml?> declaration--but then the result wouldn't be well-formed XML,
correct?

cheers,
b.

| brian martinez
brian(_dot_)martinez(_at_)trip(_dot_)com |
| senior gui programmer                                  303.708.7248 |
| trip network, inc.                                 fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| http://www.cheaptickets.com/                   http://www.trip.com/ |