xsl-list

Re: Documenting XML schema: a schema-to-XHTML stylesheet?

2003-04-28 11:59:23

cannot be fully expressed in either XDR or
XSD, but (from what I've read in Jeni Tennison's tutorials) *might* be able
to be described via Schematron.

This makes me wonder whether you oughtn't, if possible, redefine your schema to
something more expressible.

<elementX>
  <this>
    <elementX1>...</elementX1>
    <elementX2>...</elementX2>
  </this>
</elementX>

<elementX>
  <that>
    <elementX3>...</elementX3>
    <elementX4>...</elementX4>
  </that>
</elementX>

This is because, in this XML document type, allowable child elements vary,
depending on the value of an attribute in the parent element.

<snip/>

When I start thinking about writing a schema-to-XHTML XSLT stylesheet that
takes into account such rules (that is, allowable child elements depending
on an attribute value in the parent element), my head starts to throb and my
vision goes blurry ;-).

It shouldn't.  This is a garden-variety problem for XSL.  But if those
constraints are expressed within the logic of the stylesheet, they will
apparently need be documented in prose rather than XSD.

but I'm loathe to give up the "dream" of using a schema with XSLT to produce
documentation for an XML document type.

I am no longer dreaming of using a merely well-formed, ad-hoc XML instance
documenting the elements and attributes of my doctype as the basis for
generating both the XSD and the stylesheets for a particular application.

Which is the cart and which the horse?

hth,

Mike