xsl-list

Re: Push/pull

2003-04-10 15:02:28
Eli,

You've got the distinction about right.

At 02:33 PM 4/10/2003, you wrote:
The question I have got is that if you want your output to be radically different from your source (e.g. using an entirely arbitrary new order for the data and arbitrary extra presentation-level data like adjacent explanations or images) can you still use this latter method? It seems much the more elegant of the two approaches, but I am struggling to see how I can do it.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "arbitrary". Keep in mind that while the basic default processing of the stylesheet is a push, any given template does a little pulling. So you can have a push stylesheet with some well-placed pulling and get quite radically rearranged results.

Also, it's possible to have even fancier refinements, like a parameterized pull, in which the nodes being pulled are selected not directly, but rather by virtue of an order given in an external configuration document, or such like, or a parameterized push, in which the external configuration doc is your source, and your "source" (i.e. where the contents of your output is stored) is external and called in via document().

It's never really all pull or all push. It's a Pushmepullyou.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez