xsl-list

Push/pull

2003-04-10 11:33:17
XSL-List,

Many thanks for the advice about the default template rules. As for the unclosed element, that was a copy and paste error between xterm and mailnews, but well-spotted anyway!

I was reading some of Dave Pawson's collection of literature and came across a discussion of push and pull based stylesheets. Perhaps I am rather too new at this to understand the proper significance but it seemed as though 'pull' stylesheets are those in which you have your output structure explicitly in the xsl and you integrate the data from the source xml by selecting specific elements from the source document. The 'push' method, iiuic, involves recursive use of apply-templates in order to use the source document to dictate the output. Correct me if I am wrong.

The question I have got is that if you want your output to be radically different from your source (e.g. using an entirely arbitrary new order for the data and arbitrary extra presentation-level data like adjacent explanations or images) can you still use this latter method? It seems much the more elegant of the two approaches, but I am struggling to see how I can do it.

Regards,
Eli