xsl-list

Re: Display XML as excel spreadsheet

2003-05-30 12:06:23
My XML comes from a Database, and I am using XSL to get a formatted display. If the content type is html it works perfectly, but when I change the content type to "application/vnd.ms-excel", I just get a XML dump in the spreadsheet, and not a properly formatted output. Where am I going wrong?

I think what's happening you're asking the browser (IE, I presume) to do both the xsl transformation and display it as excel. It can only do one or the other, depending on content/mime-type. I suspect that when the mime-type is html, it looks to see if it's really xml, and in that case, does the transformation. I don't believe you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want both transformation and excel, you're going to have to do the xsl transformation on the server, not the client browser.

I-Lin Kuo, Ann Arbor, MI
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion 5.0 Advanced Developer
Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
Ann Arbor Java Users Group (http://www.aajug.org)