xsl-list

RE: Sending parameters to XSL stylsheet

2003-05-30 09:09:56
At 2003-05-30 15:30 +0100, Jim Fuller wrote:
note you should prob always put xsl:param after xsl:output statement

I disagree ... my understanding is that the *only* restriction of top-level constructs is that <xsl:import/> be before all other top-level instructions or non-FO-namespace elements.

The only time any other ordering is important is the fallback processing for unreported template conflict processing.

I do understand that within a template rule all <xsl:param> must come before all other constructs, including any <xsl:variable> elements. But with respect to top-level constructs (children of the stylesheet containing element) I believe only the position of <xsl:import/> is important.

XSLT 1.0 Section 2.2 reads:

   "The order in which the children of the xsl:stylesheet element
    occur is not significant except for xsl:import elements and for
    error recovery. Users are free to order the elements as they
    prefer, and stylesheet creation tools need not provide control
    over the order in which the elements occur."

I hope this helps.

............ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc