xsl-list

Re: xml to xsl: fo -> pdf format: break line!!!!

2003-05-23 07:06:11
At 2003-05-23 11:55 +0200, Marco Pedrini wrote:
If I have information stored in a DB ORACLE, inserted from a data field where the user could write free text (including break line, with the ENTER tab).

HOW could I represent in pdf the same formatted text?

The initial property for linefeed-treatment= is "treat-as-space". If you want to respect the linefeeds created by your XML authors, then use the value "preserve".

Spaces are also treated specially. The initial value for white-space-treatment= is "ignore-if-surrounding-linefeed" and you may want to change that to "preserve". The initial value for white-space-collapse= is "true" and you may want to change that to "false".

Depending on how you want the "formatted text" to be displayed, you may have to set all three of these properties to get output similar to "pre".

One final choice for you to make, what about authored lines that are too long for your printed line? The initial value for wrap-option= is "wrap" and you may want "no-wrap".

Actually the code I have is:

<fo:block font-size="8pt" font-family="sans-serif" line-height="10pt" space-after.optimum="4pt" padding-top="4pt"> <xsl:value-of select= "// DATA/ROWTAG/CS01_DESC_OPERAT"/>
</fo:block>

and all that is retrived fromn DB, via XML, mantain tha case format, but lose the end of the line, marked on DB with a double pipe.

I'm sorry that I do not understand what you mean by "marked on DB with a double pipe" ... the properties I have described above are for authored text that you want to preserve when rendering to the printed page, without the initial values of these properties converting the content to proportionally spaced flowed text.

By playing with the properties on a single block, you can flow all of your text with linefeeds into that single block without any kind of "breaking up" of the text into separate blocks.

I hope this helps.

................. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc