xsl-list

Re: xsl fo - problem opening pdf file

2003-05-14 15:09:47
Mark Ivs wrote:
    I have a link on my page. When the user clicks on
the link, it is supposed to open a pdf file in a new
window. Instead when you click on the link a window
opens and immediately an IE message window opens
asking if I want to save or open the file. For some
reason IE thinks I am trying to download the file.

1. Did you set the content type to application/pdf, or did
  you deliver the PDF as attachment to a text/plain or
  text/hmtl content stream?
2. Did you set the content length? IEx is often unable to
  process PDF correctly until the content length is set
  correctly. This means the PDF stream has to be buffered
  in the server. Mozilla/Netscape doesn't have this problem.
3. Does the URL pointing to the PDF content end in .pdf? IEx
  likes to second-guess the content type, in all versions
  up to IEx 6, but with varying flavors. In particular if
  the base URL and/or the query string ends with a string
  which looks like a file extension associated with a
  content type for some "executable content", depending
  on the security settings IEx will attempt download the
  content to a file rather than starting the associated
  program. This also depends on what software is installed
  on the machine on which the browser runs, in particular
  IIS should *not* be installed there if the server is IIS
  too.
  None of the above is a problem with Mozilla/Netscape.

J.Pietschmann