xsl-list

RE: Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?

2003-05-12 07:07:54
At 08:29 12/05/2003 +0100, you wrote:
I'd like to see that on the xsl:stylesheet element.
  typing="no"
then we could forget the types all together,
as some people seem to think is possible [see xml-dev archive], yet this
example
shows isn't.

Dave,

I don't think it is quite as simple as that. Nor, if I am correct, can it be.

Suppose you have this:

<mySillyDate>Fred</mySillyDate>

then it isn't realistic to expect the date formatting functionality to work, is it?

Nor will this work with the date functions:

<myNotQuiteSoSillyDate>25th December 2010</myNotQuiteSoSillyDate>

So, at a minimum, people who want to manipulate dates as dates (rather than as strings) will need to get up to speed with the lexical space (lovely term <grin/>) of the date and duration types, even if correct lexical forms can be automatically cast to the correct type.

I don't see any way round that, other than avoiding using the date and duration functions of XPath 2.0.

Andrew Watt