xsl-list

RE: Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?

2003-05-13 06:26:39
Hey all,

This thread and another recent one regarding X(Path|SL) 2.0
has raised a few questions for me.  I am late to the party
and I wonder if someone can direct me to language in the
recent drafts regarding the behavior of those functions which
rely upon
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/

over a merely well-formed instance, that is, for which no schema is
available. In the absence
of type information, the behavior of many of the functions of XPath2.0
would seem to be
indeterminate.  Where's the prose in the draft that answers to this
situation?

A "Basic XSLT Processor" supports atomic values conforming to the
built-in types defined in XML Schema. So you can do things like

xs:duration("P10H30M") + xs:duration("P12H15M")

to add two durations.

With a Basic XSLT Processor (i.e. one that does not support schema
validation), the nodes in a source document will always be untyped. If
an attribute contains a dateTime, then it will be cast automatically to
an xs:dateTime if you use it in a function call where a dateTime is
required. So you can do things like:

get-year-from-dateTime(@date-of-birth)

This will fail with a run-time error if the attribute value is not
lexically a legal dateTime.

Michael Kay