xsl-list

XML to html: Best practice for templates and files

2003-06-24 00:55:13
Hi all,

I am putting together a struts web framework but using pure xml and xsl for
the outputing to client.

I have a mixture of text and graphics to display, and an unknown xml
document structure (not the best choice of words, it is more like I know
bits of the schema structure may not be present).

I am trying to work out which will be the best way of structuring the xsl
file format. As I know bits of the xml structure may not be in the xml doc
for transformation I have put a lot of tests in to check, but I am not sure
that it is really in the spirit of the xsl format. As I work through the xml
and decide which bits may be missing and which I know will always be there,
I am finding myself using templates designated by name="" rather than with a
match="" and making calls to these templates after a test.

Is this the best way (and fastest) to transform data? Or should I be looking
to use the name="" template call only for hard html elements of the output,
such as page layout, table generation for top, content, footer etc. And then
just call-templates within these sections to fill in the extra sections?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers

Simon

"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all
the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than
on the opinion of others." -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung
und Elektronik,
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
Postfach 3640,
D-76021 Karlsruhe,
Germany.

Tel: (+49)/7247 82-4042
E-mail : kelly(_at_)ipe(_dot_)fzk(_dot_)de