xsl-list

Totalling A Set of Values

2003-06-13 04:43:28
(sorry if this is a repost - i did not see my last one come onto the list)

Hello,

I have an XML tree that contains lots of these blocks..

<employee name="bob" deparment="sales">
  <holiday date="120603" type="X" />
  <holiday date="120703" type="X" />
  <holiday date="120803" type="Y" />
  <holiday date="120903" type="Z" />
</employee>

I have created XSL that outputs something like this for each department

Sales
  Bob  | 2 X Days | 1 Y Day | 1 Z Day
  Sam | 3 X Days | 2 Y Day | 1 Z Day

I have been doing this using the count() function, counting
employee/holiday[(_at_)type='X'] for example.

At the end of each department I need to total the number of X days. I am
hoping there is a nice elegant way to do this but I do not know how. I do
know I cannot incremement a variable because I tried this and also read it.

Help appreciated.

Allistair Crossley
Senior Intranet Developer
QAS Ltd