xsl-list

RE: Returning a document fragment from Xalan extension function

2003-06-10 12:36:51
Hi,

A simpler way to handle this might be to create a URIResolver (check google)
and return the string (new StreamSource(new StringReader(str))) to a
document("my_string_identifier") function call. This will give you what you
want. Then you won't have to deal with extensions and converting your string
to a Node.

Best,
-Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-
list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Michal Urban
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:08 PM
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

Hello all, this is my first posting regarding my very first Xalan
extension
function in Java, I'll appreciate your thoughts:

I'm processing the text() nodes and possibly adding markup to plain text
(via external calls to "sed" - I have a set of rather tricky rules
to perform ;-).

When I return the result as a String, any inline "<elem>" gets translated
into "&lt;elem&gt;" in the output. I can understand this since that's how
String should probably behave...

When I create a DOM Document out of the text result and return it as a
Node
or DocumentFragment, any added markup is lost and only concatenated text()
content from the result tree gets into the Xalan output.

What is the proper way of passing the entire "enriched" structure into the
output?

I can actually get by using the "String" method with an additional "sed"
pass of the output file replacing "&lt;" etc. with proper markup, but
that's
certainly a crude way of doing it...

Can anybody think about a better way of doing this (instead of
Xalan-XSLT/Java/sed "contraption"). I looked into XSLT 2.0 (Saxon 7) and
EXSLT but I don't think plain regexp match/replace will cut it here - sed
scripts are more powerful/convenient (especially the external and XSL
independent config - based on XSLT params or data).

Thank you,

Michal Urban