xsl-list

RE: Re: Whitespace in Table Cells

2003-07-29 02:51:09
Well, Dion, after all the Java programming I have done, I have learned to
be very sensitive to missing semicolons!  So yes, I have been trying to
insert spaces into my table cells with   and  .  However, both
of these entity references produce errors in Microsoft IE 6 for some
reason.

What errors?

would really like to know why utilizing <xsl:text> hasn't produced the
desired result (though at least IE doesn't crash).

Well at a guess it looks as though IE detects the <td>  </td> as being empty
and as such won't render the cell.  It does however render <td>&#160;</td>.

                                      <xsl:text>    </xsl:text>

You should be aware here that multiple spaces in this way will be normalised to
a single space.

Thanks again to all for any insights, and please let me know if you need
any further explanation or clarification.

I'm guessing the errors you are getting with &#160; are funny looking A's (as
I'm sure you mean formatting issues, rather than 'errors').  If this is the
case, use the correct encoding in the <meta> element in the top of your html.

I don't know how &nbsp; would give an error - maybe the error was coming from
the xslt processor not knowing what the entity was?

Either way, the correct minimal output you are looking for so that the cell
will render is <td>&#160;</td>.

Cheers
andrew

---