xsl-list

Re: Microsoft.XMLDOM UTF-8 Encoding!

2003-07-12 04:27:30
I repeat,

I dont have problem to parse the XML. All caracters are UTF-8 encoding.
So response.write(dom.transformNode(xsl)) show the writh thing!

OK, let me show you!

Go here : http://www.trucsweb.com/rss/sauve3.asp
You can enter all non-us car and it will be UTF-8.
You see it's work good.

But try open the xml file directly in IE (or Mozilla the same)...
tx

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Reschke" <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 2:57 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Microsoft.XMLDOM UTF-8 Encoding!

From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
[Tech]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 1:03 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

Exact,

The first byte supose to tell the encoding.

The first bytes *may* tell the encoding.

Like this UTF-16 => "Unicode byte-order mark [0xFF 0xFE] or [0xFE 0xFF]"

But Microsoft (and lot more) say that XML file generate with ASP
and XMLDOM
are UTF-8 by default. (no byte was added to the file...)

It doesn't need to.

So, How tell "Microsoft.XMLDOM" to save my XML file with a true UTF-8
encoding?

To *save* a DOM in UTF-8, do what you're already doing (create the XML
declaration using MSXML's createProcessingInstruction() and save the
file).

However the issue seems to be *serving* XML to a client. You'll need to
show
us *that* ASP code to find the problem. It's almost certainly an
unnecessary
round-trip of the XML serialization trough a string, such as

response.write(dom.xml)

or

response.write(dom1.transformNode(dom2))

which *will* break encoding information.

Julian